Issue 56: Special Edition: Tech Workers Are Walking Out on Friday for the Global Climate Strike. Join them.
17 Sep 2019
We don’t normally send you an email beyond our weekly newsletter but given the climate crisis, we figured you wouldn’t mind us sending this call out.
On September 20th 2019, millions of people will mobilize across the globe in the largest ever #ClimateStrike, led by students, workers, and people who care about a livable future. As tech workers, we have a responsibility to hold our employers accountable and to be part of the solution, not the problem.
We demand that our employers across the tech industry act with boldness and urgency, and commit to:
- Zero carbon emissions by 2030
- Zero contracts w/ fossil fuel companies
- Zero funding of climate denial lobbying or other efforts
- Zero harm to climate refugees and frontline communities
We’re calling on YOU to join your co-workers as part of a walkout from your company on Friday.
We’ve listed the actions already planned, here, and if there’s nothing organized at your company yet you’ve two options: organize one, or join workers from other companies at their events. If you do walkout, post photos of the walkout in your city with the hashtag #TechClimateStrike, preferably while wearing your company’s branded clothing. If you’re walking out with other tech workers, post a group photo (with everyone’s consent, of course).
And make sure to follow these accounts on Twitter:
- Amazon: https://twitter.com/AMZNforClimate
- Facebook: https://twitter.com/FBClimateAction
- Google: https://twitter.com/GoogleWAC
- Microsoft: https://twitter.com/MsWorkers4
- Tech Workers Coalition: https://twitter.com/techworkersco
This is going to take all of us. Don’t sit on the fence for this one.